Step by step process for creating special Free Comic Book Day cover for Green Brain Comics:
1. Rough sketch—drawn in my sketchbook, later scanned and added stock Green Brain logo-tattoo just to see how it would look.
2. Finished inks. Redrew Green Brain logo to fit my style. Added in my Bodie Logo which I keep on file.
3. Added flat colors. Also added a copy of the Bodie Troll #1 cover, carefully rotated and resized it to fit into barbarian’s hand.
4. Added color holds to all my linework. Dominant color is dark brown, which replaces the stark black lines I originally draw everything with, giving the lineart a softer look. Use different colors to push back details like folds, cracks and grit, and to set the different background details apart.
5. Added shadow—draw shadows in black, then brought down the black’s opacity until I got the ideal saturation.
6. Added highlights, using white in a similar way I used black for shadows.
7. Used a variety of textures to define the separate elements in this piece.